Monday, July 21, 2014

Book Challenge -- Day 15

15. WTF just happened book endings (part 2)

A fifth ending I set the book down confused on was Life of Pi. At first I thought the fantastical story was real, then I was unsure if the narrator was telling a story to the fictional writer. Then I was even more confused whether or not the fictional writer was the author or a character. The first time around I finally gave up and picked up something else. The second time I read the book I was more confused if the story was a fantastic fairy tale or if it was an allegory--I read it in college that time--and the story didn't happen exactly as told, but in a variation. The longer I think about it, the more I'm confused.
     Another ending that launched me into the next book was Catching Fire. Fortunately I read the Hunger Games books after the trilogy was complete so I was able to set Catching Fire down and pick up Mockingjay within literal seconds of finishing. The cliffhanger ending just left me thinking "what?" and picked up the next book and understood within pages. It wasn't too bad, but I can imagine that initial readers would have been jolted by the lack of ending.
     The final book, and one that probably relates most to early readers of Catching Fire was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. After the battle in the Ministry, how could Fudge even pretend not to believe in Voldemort's return? And Sirius died, it was heart wrenching. I remember setting down the book and calling a friend who'd finished before me and sitting on the phone reliving the entire book. Like most books the next in the series answered a lot of questions, but I was still reeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment